I Need Care or Support

You may be able to access a range of services including care and/or therapists via your local NHS or Social Work Department. Alternatively, you may wish to explore private providers. For local authority provision, a referral from your GP, rehabilitation consultant  or social work is frequently required.

Working with Therapists

If you are seeking private providers you should ask for the therapists HCPC registration and PVG numbers and check they are legitimate providers and competent to practice. You can check if your therapist is registered here.

What does an occupational therapist (OT) do?

Occupational therapists (OT) can help people of all ages when everyday activities, such as getting out of bed in the morning, getting washed, preparing meals, going to work or school, become difficult. An OT uses a client-centred approach to treatment, meaning we consider all areas of a person’s life when we assess and treat.

We can assess a person’s function (ability) in a range of environments, whether it be at home, at work/school, in the shops, local community. Where difficulties are identified, treatment is based on increasing a person’s ability by using activity (occupation). Different approaches can be used but generally in brain injury and spinal injury we use a neurorehabilitative approach which includes remedial and adaptive styles.

Depending on a person’s circumstances, we might advise regarding equipment and accommodation requirements. This could be from something as simple as a jar opener to use in the kitchen or considering housing requirements. We may suggest that help is given by a carer for some tasks.

More information on how an OT can help is available from The College of Occupational Therapists.

What is the role of a physiotherapist?

Physiotherapists work holistically to treat the physical aspects of disease, injury and illness. We use movement, exercise, manual therapy and advice to treat and rehabilitate our clients. In neurological cases, we generally look at the mobility of the client, restrictions to movement and range, strength and flexibility of joints – particularly if a client is less mobile.

We can work as part of a team managing pressure care and contractures, as well as looking at how the client transfers and if they need hoisting equipment. Input may also include helping the client re-learn to walk and improving their general physical condition. We may use hydrotherapy, splints, stretches, exercise, acupuncture and advice as part of our treatment regime.Physiotherapists can also work with respiratory and cardiac conditions, for example improving chest clearance or exercise tolerance.

More information about what physiotherapy is and how it can help is available from the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy.

Do I need a Speech and Language Therapist?

More information about Speech and Launguage Therapy can be found here.

Take me back to the top