For children and young adults in particular, we realise there are several transitional periods in life that are already stressful without the additional impact of a traumatic injury. These transitions are not only difficult for our younger clients but also the rest of the family and people involved in their lives.
Children and Young Adults
We consider that a holistic approach is required taking into account all the various aspects of your child’s life and those who are part of it.
We aim to provide early intervention and work proactively in preparing your child and others for these key times in life. We can help by putting in support and rehabilitation to prepare your child for these transitions, for example, starting school, moving classes, moving into further education, working towards independent living.
Close partnership working is required to ensure that the best possible outcomes can be attained and to best support the client and those affected. This includes working with parents, siblings, peers, education providers and organisations that may be involved in the long term care / support.
Find out more about how we work with families and carers.
Our work may include providing an assessment of what your child needs now and in the future. This may include:
- specialist equipment
- community access
When putting in place a rehabilitation programme, this may include input at home, in school and in the wider community.
How we can help
- Support in transitions – prepare your child for transition into and between educational facilitities, moving home, introducing support/rehab/into employment
- Liaising and working closely with education providers
- Provide education to family / peers / other services
- Consider long term / future needs, not just today
- Set goals to ensure ongoing progress
- Support to access local community
- Access services
- Set up and independent living trial if appropriate
- Support in developing interpersonal skills / relationships
- Effective communication skills
- Specialist equipment
- Arrange respite for families
- Identify need for other services
- Link with community rehabilitation
We can also arrange rehab for
- Mobility – improve function/movement
- Community mobility
- Independent living skills
- Sensory integration
- Study skills
- Generalising skills